Tuesday 6 March 2012

The First Run

  It must be stated that I am incredibly unfit. Until recently I smoked a packet of cigarettes a day. I drank far too much alcohol. And I did no exercise. The perfect candidate for running the Marathon de Sade? I think so. At least I think I can turn myself into the one that makes it over the finish line. That's what I thought as I sat on the edge of my bed and laced up my new running shoes. I had worn these shoes before, but I had no special attachment to them. They were only cheap running shoes after all. It was a windy day, in Wellington. I had decided and so I went. Out the gate and I turned right, uphill. Now you would be forgiven for thinking that I wanted a challenge to begin with and I intended to begin how I would carry on. But you would probably be wrong. In fact you would be wrong, I started on the uphill because I knew it meant I would finish on the downhill. Forward planning, something that I would need for sure to be able to get through the 240 odd kilometre's of Marathon de Sade.

  Anyway, once you're through this waffle, you'll be pleased to know that I eventually managed to run. I managed to run the whole way. Between the first two power poles. In the end I managed to run and walk my way around the whole block, plus a little bit. I started by running four power poles or so and then walking for one, then running another four, and then walking another one. I can tell you the distance that I managed to run that day, however I will not. Ok, but not until the last sentence. Before I manage to wow you with the amazing distance I managed to lug my tubby stomach I want to go into a little detail about what exactly went through my mind as I heaved my massive legs forward one after the other. It started like this 'wow, that's a pretty huh, huh, hard to, huh, huh, breathe, huh, huh, now'. And I was lucky if I could finish the sentence. This is how it went, only the sentences got shorter while I was running between the four power poles and a little longer when I was walking to the next power pole. I did however manage to complete my intended run/walk. It was 2.3 kilometre's long. And that wasn't the last sentence and neither is this. I intend to do the same run again, and again. In time I will be able to do this run without the walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment